alt= alt= alt=

Supporting people affected by Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.


The whole benefits system is continually changing, and it’s impossible for us to give detailed advice here.  The organisations below can help navigate through the minefield of benefits.

The main ones that a person with CMT may qualify for are:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit for people of working age with disabilities. It has replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults making a new claim and will be phased in for people currently on DLA over the next few years.  DLA is still the benefit to claim for under 16s.  Click on the logo below for a useful resource to help you navigate the application:

Employment and Support Allowance is for people who can no longer work and is awarded at two levels – the Work Related Assessed Group, for people who are expected to be able to work eventually or with support, and the Support Group, for people who cannot reasonably be expected to work.  Click the logo below for a useful resource to help you navigate the application:


Attendance Allowance is for people over 65 to help with mobility and care issues.

Benefits and Work

British Council of Disabled People

Contact a Family

Citizen’s Advice Bureau


For all information on claiming benefits and where/how to claim go to  www.gov.uk


If you have problems obtaining benefits that you feel you are entitled to, Muscular Dystrophy UK’s Advocacy service may be able to help


Donate Button

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Search only trustworthy HONcode health websites: